Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hear me dance

When I touch my ear like this, a small child somewhere will begin dancing a jig.

Martina stopped by today and this picture was actually just her talking about Peter's recent hearing problems. Ceci is not the only one with a slight ear wax buildup. The fact that David happened to be in the background goofing around shows just how infrequently he can be serious.

Peter's latest doctor visit to flush out his ears ended with him kicking and screaming. The wise doctor thought it might not be such a good idea to shove a metal tube into Peter's head during his spastic 'no way' dance. We have a follow-up appointment next week to try again. To help Peter prepare for the next round, he is not allowed to watch any T.V. and all desserts waved bye-bye at about the time he almost kicked me off of the doctor's chair.

Before dinner, I caught David stealing candy. I was not so surprised, but I followed him anyway. He tip-toed down the hallway into his room. I snuck around the corner, fully expecting him to be cramming fistfuls of sugar down his greedy little mouth. Instead, I saw David splitting up the stash with his big brother.

I was pissed that David stole candy. I was even more pissed that Peter was fully prepared to break his newly imposed punishment. I was moved, though, by David actually doing something nice for Peter so I overlooked this bonding moment of thievery and simply moved the candy bag to a higher location.

Peter has been really getting into his Santa List lately. I think Angie and I may need to do a little expectation management, though. Tonight, after dinner, Peter announced that he would like to add a new toilet seat to his list. He explained that the new one should be pink and have a dinosaur on it.

Forget for the moment that it is very unlikely that I would ever find such a hideous thing. Why the hell is a four-year old asking Santa for a toilet seat? My guess is that he has already placed every toy ever made on his list and he is now moving from room to room in search of new ideas. I will confirm this suspicion if things start showing up on the list like a spinning toaster that blows bubbles or a purple fridge that sings pirate songs when you open the freezer.

After I put the boys to bed, I plopped down on the sofa and held Tom in my arms. He looked up at me and smiled. My first reaction was to check his diaper, since up until now, Tom smiling has been directly linked to his digestive clock. Nothing. I looked back at Tom and tickled his belly. Then he really smiled and started laughing. I am used to other people laughing at me, but this took me by surprise and I felt like dancing a little jig myself.
--------------------------------------------
Ladder Talk:
1) What was the best part of your day?
Peter: When Martina come.
David: When a lion in the kindergarten came and then the Papa lion go 'cause he ran when the he go to mommy.

2) What was the worst part of your day?
Peter: When David hit me and kicked me.
David: When I make my foot fall down.

3) What would you like to do tomorrow?
Peter: To go to Dalia's.
David: To find my green nuna.

see related cartoon

No comments:

Post a Comment