Sunday, November 2, 2008

Flower Power

My two little hippies played at the local park today. Thankfully, they did not strip naked and start banging a tambourine. They did stop to smell the roses that in this case were actually daisies. They didn't seem to mind and as soon as Peter stuck four of them in his hat, 'because I'm four years old', David had to have two in his hat. This made me think of buying a really huge hat for Mama and plucking a shitload of daisies, but I had a sneaking suspicion that this thoughtful token of affection might not be fully appreciated.

There were a few remaining puddles from a recent rainshower and since they both had on their 'splashing' boots, I allowed them to get their mud on. I did not realize at the time, though, that this would in any way equate to completely covering innocent bystanders in the brown stuff.

I was off showing Peter how to weave sticks together when I looked up and caught a glimpse of David eyeing an elderly woman walking down the steps. It was like one of those old westerns. Everything went into slow motion. David's eyes darted from the woman to a big puddle next to the path, to me. Our eyes locked and in an instant, I knew exactly what he had planned.

I broke out into a full-on sprint to catch David, who had already stopped grinning and was now racing straight for the puddle. I caught up to David just as he reached the puddle just as the old lady was walking by. She looked up and almost had a heart attack. There I was, screaming at David to stop and barreling full-force towards her. David was chuckling like a mad scientist and suddenly launched into what I must later admit was a pretty impressive jump for his age. Both feet got air over a fairly good distance to land exactly in the middle of the puddle. Smasho-splasho. Sorry, nice old lady.

It would have been equally as bad if the woman had not been wearing a nice white dress, but this did very little to stifle David's insane laughing. I tried to yell at David in front of this poor woman and found it increasingly difficult to do so without totally cracking up myself. To avoid me laughing to tears and pointing, I grabbed David, apologized profusely and left the puddle-hunting grounds rather quickly.

David has already mudded people on two other occasions, so I am really wondering if the flowers in his hat have less to do with his years of existence on planet Earth and more with his running tally of mud victims. If this is so, the next flower-power picture you see will certainly feature David with three daisies in his hat.
--------------------------------------------
Ladder Talk:
[David's mud adventures must have been draining - he fell asleep before ladder talk]

1) What was the best part of your day?
Peter: When I could see Dalia every day abracadabra.

2) What was the worst part of your day?
Peter: When I couldn't play anymore and when I can't play with Dalia anymore and when she can't stay forever and when she can't play with us tomorrow.

3) What would you like to do tomorrow?
Peter: To play with David in the Rainbow class.

see related cartoons

No comments:

Post a Comment