Monday, August 18, 2008

Has anyone seen the castle?

Today started out early, which is just a fancy way of saying 'why can't you just let me SLEEP?' Another way of describing early would be to say that Peter woke up at 1:00 AM and stayed awake for the next four hours coughing, crying and whining about how tired he was. I felt bad for the first two, since they were clearly out of his control. I'm still scratching my head about the last one, though.

At work today, Angie called shortly before lunch. 'Do you have keys?' Mmm. That was a very interesting question. Being the modern day Sherlock Holmes that I am, I started to analyze that little puzzler. Wisely, I chose to do this before answering.

Knowing that Angie does not call me up every day and ask if I have my keys, I could immediately rule out some strange form of small talk.

Picking up on the slight undertone of irritation, I could tell she was mad at someone or something. Since I had done nothing that I know of to piss her off, I should have been able to rule myself out. But I know Angie. Me not being aware of having done something to upset her did not automatically mean she was not mad at me. I would have to come back to that one.

'I asked if you have keys.'

My strategy of silence paid off. The second time around I picked up on a tiny bit of embarrassment. Hey, wait a minute... oh, this was going to be so good. I turned on my innocent voice.

'Yes, I have keys. Why? You didn't lock yourself out, did you?'

Now it was her turn for silence. I was just trying not to crack up.

'Yes.'

Short. To the point. In that one little word were several implied orders. Stop Laughing. Get in the car. Come pick me up. Bring your keys. Do not laugh at me when you hand me your keys.

I got the message silent and clear. I drove to meet Angie at - where else? - IKEA. Funny how she does not lock her credit card out. Or not funny, if you look at it through my eyes. We had lunch together and as I left, I casually and silently placed the keys on the table, kissed her goodbye and walked away, avoiding the burning urge to mumble 'Key Master' or some other cute pet name. Love is...holding your laughter until you are around the corner and safely out of earshot of your red-faced sweetie-pie.

I came home and took the boys for a bike ride. My bike does not have a child seat, so I took Angie's. Murphy's law clearly took over and ensured that Angie's bike tire was flat. Murphy also found it necessary to guarantee that simply pumping it up would not do. Our bike ride turned into a trip to the bike shop to buy a new valve for the tire so it would hold air. Thanks a lot, Murphy - you bastard.

We finally got going and stopped at the old bridge for this nice shot. I turned to see what David was pointing at and could only see a young blond jogging by. Man! He's starting early.

Speaking of early, Angie counted 4 contractions today. Nonameyet is getting a little eager. He's probably just angry that we haven't named him yet. After the doctor slaps him, I am sure he will turn around and slap Angie and me for waiting so long. After today, maybe Key-th would be a fitting name.
--------------------------------------------
1) What was the best part of your day?
Peter: I like best when I go bike riding with you.
David: When Peter Baba-da-baba

2) What was the worst part of your day?
Peter: When the wheel was flat by Mama's bike.
David: When Gizma scratch me.

3) What would you like to do tomorrow?
Peter: I want to go to a place where nobody is and take David and you and me.
David: When come Sami.

see related cartoon

No comments:

Post a Comment